PORTFOLIO
Jordan Hall
Designed by Edmund Wheelwright in 1903, Jordan Hall enjoyed a reputation as one of the finest concert halls anywhere. The acoustics, the ambiance and the tradition of the hall were revered by Bostonians and NECM Alumni. This restoration project, the first since the hall originally opened, sought to restore the finishes, to add new HVAC systems and to light the hall according to moderns standards and energy efficient requirements.

Goals for the new lightings included: permanent concert lighting for the stage, performance lighting for the stage, historically accurate house lighting, accenting of architectural features, energy efficient rehearsal and work lighting, a central dimming system for all lighting withing the hall, complete with stage lighting memory control console, preset and remote push-buttons for architectural lighting.

All of the incandescent lighting in the hall is tungsten halogen. The reflectors on all the down lighting are gold to provide a warm glow. The custom exit signs, which have LED sources, feature a custom historic font and a fixture mounted on the backside to light the monumental doors in the balcony.

The under balcony lighting uses a simple bowl fixture containing two sources: compact fluorescent and capsylite A lamps, wired on two separate circuits. The compact fluorescents are used to save energy during rehearsals and the A lamps are used for performances. The light ladders, mounted on each side of the balcony columns, provide an armature to mount theatrical spotlights, provide electric distribution and access to spotlight focusing, thus saving wear and tear on adjacent finishes. The custon sconce design and stained glass specification for the central lay light are both products of Cosler Theatre Design.